At the top of Aiguille du Midi, height of 3842m. "Aiguille du Midi" means "needle of midday" because at noon, the sun is directly over the peak of the mountain when viewed from Chamonix. This also explains where there is so much sun glare in all my pictures....
The rounded peak at the very right of the frame is Mont Blanc, height of 4807m and the tallest peak in Western Europe.

Fernanda and Olivier (and a lot of sun glare!) Mont Blanc is the second peak on the left.

Olivier says this is called the "tooth of the mountain."

The very top of Aiguille du Midi, as seen from the observation deck at the top of the cable car. You can take an elevator to the top, but we were cold enough already! Maybe if I am back sometime in summer!

I am not positive, but I think you can see mountains in three countries in this picture: France, Italy, and Switzerland. It's hard to tell though, because despite what I learned from the maps in elementary school, the land does not change colors at the borders of countries!!

Looking from one observation deck to the other. We walked through a tunnel in the mountain to get from one to the other.

Mont Blanc is the rounded peak left of center.


Ready to make our descent from the midstation.

Back on the ground! Chamonix, which is still at 1000m elevation, but seemed so low and warm after being on the top!
No comments:
Post a Comment