In Which I Blather On Some More

Monday, January 3, 2011

How to Crash a New Year's Eve Party

For the first time in 5 years, I have a boyfriend-type person at New Years. And yet, I spent it alone. I knew it was going to happen - Le copain français was at his parents' house and flying back on New Year's Day. He booked the tickets well before we started dating, so, c'est la vie. But not having a specific someone to go out with meant I had no idea what I wanted to do. I had offers from a couple of friends in Boston, and another offer from a friend who rented a house up near Plymouth, but really didn't want to drive. I liked the idea of spending the evening on the couch in front of the fire, watching movies and eating junk food. However, my friend Smalls guilted me into joining him for a house party at his friend H's. Smalls and I both ended up making stuffed mushrooms to take to the party, so we had an appetizer throw-down. After which, food and alcohol were consumed by all, and the hookah was partaken of by most (but not me).

Plan the First involved going for dinner and leaving around 11 to be home before midnight and all the less-than-sober drivers were on the road.

Plan the Second involved sticking around for H's champagne toast at midnight and then leaving immediately so I could go home and crash in bed.

Reality involved leaving H's at 1:30-ish after much food, plenty of drinks, and an impromptu dance party in the kitchen; driving Smalls home; sitting in his parking lot talking in my car for another 45 minutes; and getting home a few minutes before 3:00 AM. OUCH. But also, WONDERFUL.


Scotch + Hookah Smoke = NYE WIN

Let's all blow smoke into our glasses!

Our hostess H, preparing the midnight champagne toasts


Kitchen dance party!

After 1 AM, still going strong

No comments: