In Which I Blather On Some More

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Tranquility

There is a lot going on in my life right now. Work is busy, social life is busy, I've over-extended myself on projects around the house, and it is the holiday season on top of that. I feel like the brain hamsters have been spinning their wheels especially fast lately.

Last night as I sat at Wine Night, I pulled some scrap paper (actually, a used envelope) out of my purse and started jotting down things I need to accomplish over the next few evenings, plus lists of things I need to tell certain people so I don't forget. Along with notes to finish paining my cabinets, mail some packages, and write my Christmas cards, I decided to put Meditate for 15 Minutes on the list each evening.

After I got home with my leftover wine, I buzzed around the house for about an hour and a half, straightening and painting and crossing things off the list. And then, just before heading upstairs to get ready for bed, I turned out all the lights except for the candles in the window and the Christmas trees. I sat on the floor, looking up at the lights and decorations of Sam the Balsam. I focused on some of the different ornaments, reflecting on where and when I acquired them. Boo came over for some lovings, rubbing his face on my hands and crawling into my lap for a few minutes. Finally, I sang a couple of very off-tune Christmas carols. It took 15 minutes before bed, and really did relax me.

There are 12 more days until Christmas. I think I will be adding this to my nightly schedule.

No comments: