Monday, May 9, 2011
Experimental Cooking - Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Tomatoes and Homemade Pesto
I love pesto, but I'm slightly allergic to pine nuts, and I'm highly allergic to walnuts, almonds, cashews, and everything else that they tend to throw into pesto these days. So I can't eat the jarred stuff and have to make my own. I finally found basil leaves in large enough quantities to make digging out the food processor worthwhile, and whipped up some pesto tonight.
Nut-Free Pesto
4 oz/2 c packed basil leaves
3 cloves garlic
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
Pulse chop the basil and garlic in the food processor. Add in about half the olive oil using the drip spout, running on chop constantly. You may have to stop to scrap down the sides. Add in cheese, chop some more. Add in the rest of the olive oil through the drip spout, and continue chopping/blending until you have a smooth paste-like consistency.
Nommiest Grilled Cheese Ever
Spread pesto on 2 slices of bread. Build the following from bottom to top: bread, pesto, slice of mozzarella/provolone blend cheese, fresh tomato slices, another slice of mozz/prov blend, pesto, bread. Pan fry/grill in butter until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melty. Eat. Die and go to Heaven, it is so good.
I have a new favorite comfort food sandwich!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment