In Which I Blather On Some More

Monday, May 16, 2011

How Do You Say "Argh" In Hebrew?

Warning - the following post contains self-pity and whining. Please check back tomorrow for a more positive attitude.
7:45PM Israeli time

Sartre said "Hell is other people", and right now I very much agree. This introvert has had more than enough socialization for today, to the point I'm trying to decide if I'm up to heading down to the lobby cafe for dinner by myself, or if I'm just going to order overpriced room service.

To start with, class was frustrating today. I want to succeed at this; I don't want to be the little girl who can't fix the machines. And of course, in attempting to do a relatively routine part replacement, it took me 3 times (and someone else finally inserting the part) to get it right. So frustrating. Also frustrating is the fact that we're doing a lot of listening to lectures/slides right now. Which is fine with me, especially since we're going to get plenty of hands-on time later this week and next, but everyone else keeps asking questions that would really be better answered by just trying scenarios out on the machines.

And then there's the language barrier. Which for once does not seem to be a problem for me, but for everyone else. The course is in English - it was actually specified on the invitation that English fluency was a prerequisite. There is at least one person in the class who not only is not fluent, but you can tell understands only a small percentage of what is being said by anyone. Within the fluent speakers, there are 5-6 different accents competing. Some people understand some accents but not others, et cetera et cetera et cetera. The Israeli instructors sometimes use slightly different terminology than what we use in the States, which seems to be throwing some people off. And so all this amounts to a lot of redundant questions, discussions going around and around the same topic, and questions that are asked in a way such that the given answer really doesn't answer the question at all.

Finally, there seems to be a bad combination of "this is not the same as at home; wah wah wah" and cultural apathy with a lot of the group. We're here in Israel for 2-3 weeks, basically all-expenses paid work trip. And yes, it is great that they have put us up on the beach here in Tel Aviv. The company is also organizing a day-trip for us to Jerusalem this coming weekend with a tour guide - something that runs $100+ per person through the hotel, and the company is doing this for us for free. And yet, there are people complaining because they wanted to go to the beach, go surfing, go dune buggying, go to the freaking Harley Davidson store instead. I'm listening to endless whining about the price of dining out. I've listened to whining about the fact that service is not included in the restaurant bill and oh the horrors, our waiter was acutally "rude" enough to point that out to us last night. I've listened to complaints about slow service - how we waited "an hour" after dinner to get our bill last night. We didn't, we waited maybe 20 minutes, which is nothing. I'm so frustrated by people who expect this to be exactly like the US (or whatever their home country is) and who also have no interest in exploring Israel at all. Don't these guys have any cultural curiosity at all?

I'm hoping most of this annoyance is just delayed jet lag on my part. I remember that the first time I went to France for work, the second day there was the worst and most frustrating. With any luck I will get a good night of sleep tonight and will be less vexed by everything tomorrow.

No comments: