Or maybe, Mostly Downs. 7:30 PM Israeli time.
I read something recently that mentioned it takes one day per hour of time change to get over jet lag. Israel is +7 hours from the east coast and I got here last Saturday, so today is Day 7. I thought I was over my jet lag a few days ago, but today I slept until 9, didn't actually make it out of the room until 11 (when I found out I had missed breakfast, despite the hotel guide saying they serve until 11:30), was back in the room after a walk by 12:30, and slept from 1 until 4. I should drag myself out to dinner, since I skipped breakfast and just snacked on random food I have in my room for lunch, but I'm still feeling pretty tired/lazy.
This feels pretty similar to how I felt for a while back in February, which to be honest, isn't a great sign. I think a lot of it has to do with being a little lonely - despite my introvert rant the other day. I'm in this beautiful, glorious place and don't have anyone to share it with. It's just enough of a culture change here that I'm not nearly as comfortable going out to dinner by myself as I am in the States. And it's not that I feel unsafe walking around Tel Aviv or sitting in a restaurant by myself, I just feel much more awkward and alone. I know I could try being more social with my classmates. But my classmates aren't people I would normally choose to hang out with (unlike other coworkers I have traveled with in the past) and after a day/week of class, I want a break from them. So it's a Catch-22 situation. Honestly, a big part of it is that I walk around here and keep thinking of how much Le copain français would enjoy it here, and I still really miss him. I know most people's opinion is that I should try to focus on moving on, and that I should try to use this trip as a "reset button" and a fresh start, but still....
So despite the fact that I originally had big plans to go to the street market, poke around Jaffa some more, and maybe do a walking tour I found online, I did nothing. And now I'm disappointed with myself that I wasted a day here - after all, I only have 4 "free" days that don't involve class, and tomorrow we have the group tour planned for Jerusalem. On the other hand, maybe I just needed to catch up on my sleep. If nothing else, I think this has shown me that I need to do better next weekend about making plans to fill my time, and not try to play it by ear. And I really hope this isn't an indication that next year's planned trip to Paris will result in me holing up in a short-term rental for 2 weeks....
4 comments:
It's really hard to get over someone when you didn't choose to break up in the first place. I know I enjoy traveling better when I can share it with someone else too. Plus, I would be a little nervous about going out on my own in Tel Aviv.
I think you'll enjoy your group tour tomorrow. And then next week, maybe you can pick some activities le copain francais would have hated but that you really like. Then you can revel in being able to do whatever you want to do. ((hugs))
I think that's a great suggestion, to do things LCF would not appreciate. I've already been doing that by subtly flirting with the two Brits in the class (LCF, being a typical Frenchman, disdains the British) and tonight ordered garlic bread at dinner, something that bothers his stomach. I think this week I'm going to make a point to head to the beach and sit and read a book every night after work - we've got about an hour of sunlight once we're back from the office - and I'm going to see how much it costs for a massage at the spa.
I felt the same way in China my first day out alone. A little wheepy and wishing I could turn to someone and talk about the great experience I was having. At the end of the day, just push through it. You don't want to waste a second of this fabulous trip.
I also heard that it takes a day of jet lag recovery for every hour of time difference. I also heard that this is for people in optimal physical condition (AKA, not me). Coming back from China has been brutal. Way worse then going there. HOpe you have a better time with things! Jen
Thanks Jen! This week has been MUCH better than last, and I pretty much filled today (Friday) with fun adventures. I only managed about half the things I wanted to do, but that's typical of my vacations in general. :)
I'm hoping my jetlag going back won't be too bad - I work all day and then take a 12-hour flight back to the states that leaves at midnight. I should be tired enough to sleep through it! Land early morning, and if I can keep myself awake all day and then have an early evening, I hope it won't be too bad.
And I can't wait to get together with you and compare trip notes!
Post a Comment