Tonight was our end-of-year party for my Girl Scout troop. Mrs. J and I decided to have a casual event where the girls could just hang out and have fun. Mrs. J has a pool, so we invited the girls all over there for a pool party/ice cream social. Of course, it was drizzly and only in the 60s today, but the girls still had fun and 4 of them actually got in the pool.
I offered to bring the ingredients for the girls to help me make Hot Fudge Sundae Cake. It's similar to a chocolate lava cake, and a neat little science experiment. Batter with hot water on top goes into the oven, brownies with chocolate syrup underneath comes out.
The girls were awesome - read the recipe and did a good job of doubling it, took turns measuring and mixing - and I asked them all what they thought was going to happen before we put it in the oven to bake. One of the girls hit it right on, said that the baking powder would make the batter rise up through the water, but they all had at least parts of their hypotheses right. When the cake came out of the oven, they were all pretty impressed by the brownies and syrup transformation!
Our troop is taking a break for the summer, but we'll be back to doing events in August. We're hoping to go to a big nation-wide Girl Scout event next year, so we'll be doing a bunch of fundraising. We're also planning some FUN too, though. Camping, hiking, maybe skiing, and earning some cool badges. I'm so excited to be involved with Scouting again, and so happy that Mrs. J invited me to be part of their troop!
Girls can do ANYTHING!
2 comments:
It's so cool that you're a Girl Scout leader. Your troop sounds a lot more fun that I remember Girl Scouts being. Thanks for being a positive role model!
Heh, 10-year-old me probably would have not liked my troop! "You want me to walk for *miles* in the *woods*???" I was kind of a weeny little kid, but it was partially because I didn't have anyone to ease me into being outdoorsy. So I want to make getting out into the wilderness fun for these girls, especially since their generation has so many more things keeping them in the house than our generation had.
Plus, I figure it's good for them to see women as role models who aren't teachers/nurses/stay-at-home moms. :)
Post a Comment