In Which I Blather On Some More

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Of Imaginary Friends, Real Friends, and Care Packages

I have a group of friends I've never met. Call them penpals, because that's a term that everyone understands and seems nice and safe. 21st century penpals. Which means our communication is electronic. Yep, that's right, I have a bunch of "imaginary" internet friends. Cue the older generation panicking that I'm going to be killed or sucked into a cult or have my identity stolen.

Anyway, these friends knew I had a rough winter. Got laid off at the beginning of January, my pipes froze, my furnace was temperamental (and still needs to be officially fixed...), my boyfriend first fell off the face of the planet and then broke up with me, and to top it all off, it snowed for pretty much the entire freaking month of February. Basically, I wanted to crawl into bed with the cats and never get out. Which I actually did for a couple of weeks.

So a bunch of them pooled their pennies and put together a lovely care package for me. Among other things, they sent me flower seeds to brighten my garden, a candle to light and relax with, and a nicely-funded gift card for Dunkin Donuts so I could get out of the house without having to pull out my own wallet. I was so touched I cried. I couldn't get over the fact that these women, only one of whom I had met before, and all of whom I know have their own crap in life to deal with, cared enough about me to lift my spirits.

Since then, I have contributed funds to other care packages for others who were having a hard time. I sent a bunch of postcards from Israel. And slowly, slowly I've begun meeting more and more of them in person. It helped that there was a Moot in Maine this summer, so I met a whole bunch of awesomeness all at once. I've met up with another local-ish woman for Restaurant Week, and somehow timing worked out that I got together with someone else when I was in Michigan for work last week. My "imaginary friends" are turning into Real Friends and I am so happy about it!

PS - So far I'm still alive, my identity is intact, and I don't feel any compulsions to drink any KoolAid. I do think I need to acquire a zester though...not sure if that counts for Cult Indoctrination 101 or not.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

Every "internet friend" I've ever liked enough to meet has turned out to be awesome. Glad you're having the same experience.


Having a zester just makes you extra fabulous. What will you zest?

craftosaurus said...

Aw, this post is so wonderful.

Alllso, the captcha on this comment? "hornesse." Too perfect.

L said...

You haven't felt a need to drink the special Kool-Aid yet? Our insidious plan has failed!