In Which I Blather On Some More

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Thankful Tuesday

I'm thankful that after approximately 64 hours without electricity, my power is back on at home.

I'm thankful that I had friends who were willing to let me crash with laptop and laundry, and neighbors who were willing to lend me a propane heater to warm my house up.

I'm thankful for all of the area businesses who are either located on a main grid or have backup generators and were open for business, even when 88% of my town was without power.

I'm thankful for the plow crew who were out plowing our condo complex on the night of October 29th, even though our contract doesn't officially start until November 1st.

I'm thankful for the line crews who came in from out-of-state and out-of-country to help the utility companies. I'm less than thankful for my utility company's PR department, which is less than impressive or informative.

I'm thankful for working for a company that realizes their employees can still be productive outside of the office, and didn't make us take vacation time while the office was closed for now power.

I'm thankful for my two crazy kitties, who cuddled close and helped keep me warm the last 3 chilly nights. They will be happy with the heat situation!

4 comments:

craftosaurus said...

Sooo glad you have your power back!

Kate Not Katy said...

Me too! I turned on most of the lights in the house last night, just because I could.

And also, I'm thankful that both of my freezers stayed cold enough that I didn't lose any food from them. Yay! And I only lost a lb of hamburger, a pack of lunchmeat, some ranch dressing and some cheese from the fridge. Whew!

L said...

Glad you didn't lose too much food. I'm surprised you lost the cheese; in my experience cheese can stay cool for quite a while (it was one of our favorite backpacking foods in AK).

Kate Not Katy said...

L, I debated that. But some of the cheese had been in there a while in various forms of being open - bags of preshredded stuff, a couple blocks of cheddar and such that had been previously cut up for parties. Given that most of it was already open, and that I had rotting meat in the fridge (didn't want to open the door, even when I knew the hamburg was off), I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. If any of the packages had been vacuum sealed, I would have saved them.